Rheumatology is a science focused on diagnosis and treatment of diseases related to damage to joints, connective and periarticular soft tissues, rheumatic diseases. Rheumatic diseases is a group of diseases with predominantly systemic or local lesion of connective tissue. They include diseases with predominant joint damage; vasculitis and diffuse connective tissue diseases; and true rheumatism. Rheumatic diseases often affect not only the musculoskeletal system, but also skin cover, internal cardiovascular, respiratory, digestive and other organs. In this regard, to increase the quality and effectiveness of rheumatologist's consultation, the patient should be preliminary examined by a therapist. Examination includes laboratory diagnostics (general and biochemical blood analysis), pneumoarthrography, if necessary, ultrasound of internal organs, periarticular soft tissues, CT, MRI and other diagnostic methods.
The rheumatologist carries out diagnostics and treatment of the following diseases:
- osteoarthritis, osteoporosis;
- arthritis of various genesis, including: rheumatoid, gouty, reactive, psoriatic;
- ankylosing spondylitis (Bekhterev's disease);
- systemic diseases: systemic scleroderma, systemic lupus erythematosus, systemic vasculitis;
- Reynaud’s syndrome;
- polymyositis, dermatomyositis, erythema nodosum;
- rheumatic polymyalgia, etc.